Monday, August 9, 2010

Muslim majority district in North India

Apart from Jammu and Kashmir (J&K), there is no state in North India that has over 20% Muslim population.

But the lone Muslim-majority district exists not in UP, which has a strong Muslim concentration in Oudh and Rohailkhand. Instead, the district is located in Haryana. Mewat that has a population of nearly 1 million or 9.9 lakh has over 70% Muslims.

Though Haryana has just 6% Muslims, the Mewat region has a predominant Muslim population. In the year 2005, Mewat was constituted as the 21st district of the state. Earlier it was part of the Gurgaon district, which is close to Delhi.

Mewat is populated by Meos (Mev) who for centuries remained Muslims but also followed Hindu practices. This area was a battle field between Shuddhi movement workers and the Tablighi Jamaat activists before and after independence.

While Uttar Pradesh has around 19% Muslims followed by Bihar (17%), Rajasthan (8%), Madhya Pradesh (7%), Delhi (12%), the lone district that has such a large Muslim population exists in Haryana. UP's Rampur has also nearly 50% Muslims.

Bihar's Kishanganj has even higher percentage but geographically it lies in Eastern India, on the border of West Bengal state. Mewat has been a backward region and educational levels are low here. Efforts are on to improve literacy rate in this district.


  1. Assam is in the North East of India and is over 31% muslim, W.Bengal is over 25% muslim and also lies in the North east. The rapid growth in these regions in exacerbated by illegal immigration from Bangladesh.

    There is no data for the religious population of Mewat and it is not just populated be Meos. Your 70% figure only comes from a guestimate that 70% of Meos consider themselves Muslim while the other 30% call themselves Hindu.

  2. Dear, I also belong to mewat(from punhana)but I m not a Meo.There is a correction- "70% of population of mewat which are muslims consider themselves as Meo. That's it....

  3. India is Islam and Islam in India good

    1. U muslims are stray doys who require sterlisation.

    2. actually u just need to come done

    3. "TrueIndian" is the RSS extremist who are the real terrorist that needs extermination. They are the same gang of thugs who looted and terrorized Gujarat under Modi and are the same thugs who tore down the Babri Masjid.

      I say he's not a true Indian in the least sense of the word because true Indians are tolerant and welcoming people generally. Instead he is that strain of an Hindu extremist who would wipe out all non-Hindus (or those they consider "natives" in India) and make the country intolerant for all those who would like to live in peace such as yourself.

      I wouldn't pay barking dog if I were you PeacefulSunni.

    4. HAHA! Peacefull ? sunni ? WHAT A FAIL# JOKE!!

      Since when did sunni become peaceful ? THe only thing they are good at is killing people and sacrificing animals..... barbarians

      They do not have their own culture or religion.

      That is why they act very muslim and will try to follow every rule, to prove that they are actually muslim.



      Too bad for them. The group of people in india who practice muslim religion, should actually convert to buddhism.

  4. America must take action against Hindu extremist also...if she is so called leader of democracy..???????

  5. i think they must have to take strict action against them check Most Populated Cities in the World


Recent posts on this blog